Monday, September 05, 2005

Home Alone

Today was Franky and Benjys first day alone. Well, not the whole day, because I came back at noon to check on them, but everything was alright. I had put back the litter box cover in the morning and was wondering... ok, actually I was quite worrying whether Benjy would set foot in there, the box being closed again and all. But, no unpleasant surprises. Toilet training seems to have effects.

In the evening, when I came back from work, they started following me to the living room again. We played around for a while, then I let them go exploring again. Didn't take Benjy long to find that cozy little spot in the hot air stream of my linux server box. Perfect spot for a little pee, quite obviously. How could I have missed that... When I took a closer look what he was doing there, I couldn't help noticing the puddle spreading underneath Benjy. So I did what other cat owners have told me: grabbed Benjy, dunked his nose in his own mess and stuck him into the litter box. CITA Maneuver, you remember? Told him in no uncertain words what I think of that kind of behaviour. Not too much later, the effects of my wrath obviously being forgotten, I catch him again, this time behind my subwoofer. Again I pick him up, and this time he screams his little heart out ("ohshitohshitohshitohnononoohnonopleasedont*dunk*sluuurrp") and off to the litter box he goes again.

I don't have the slightest clue what made him do that. We were playing, I was sharing my attention quite equally between the two, they had eaten, everything seemed to be right. My theory is that he either suddenly decided that he had to go now or never, or maybe he just couldn't sniff out the toilet because it was so clean and unsmelly. Who knows?

No comments: