Friday, April 28, 2006

Good ol' times...

Went shopping today. Nothing so mundane as clothes or food, I went looking for some new computer equipment. Figured that doing foto processing with the mouse is rather tedious work, so a graph tablet might ease that job a bit. So I surfed the web for a bit until I knew what exactly I was looking for and then went to town to go and get it.

First stop: Media Markt. Checked all the aisles, but no luck. No graph tablets on sale. Asked a helpful member of the staff, but no luck. No graph tablets. "At the moment" - yeah right, as if you ever had one.

So I hung my head and made my way back to the exit, when I walked along the shelves where they store all the computer games. And then I saw it...

(I would insert some spherical music now, along with a choir of angels going aaahhhh-aahhhhhahhhhahhh, maybe even with a spotlight to emphasize what I saw, but I don't think that works in a blog, so you just need to imagine that now.)

So. Again. And then I saw it... the computer enthusiasts dream... timeless design, outstanding functionality and the big red ball on top... the mother of all joysticks.

The Competition Pro.

THE most used (and sometimes abused) computer peripheral of my youth, sitting there on the shelf, just waiting for me to pick it up and take it home. Which I did, of course.

Oh, and if you are wondering now what on earth I want to do with a joystick, now that almost all games are played with keyboard and/or mouse, I might add that in this particular joystick they have added a more or less complete C64 computer along with 30 games. Including computer game milestones Summer/Winter/World/California Games, Uridium, Jumpman Junior, Paradroid and (get a load of this) --- Impossible Mission!!!

So sorry Lara, but you have to do without me for a while.

No comments: